Aura Goodwin Raley and her husband Moses built the first house in Pendleton (located in the 100 block of South Main Street) in 1864. The Goodwins opened a stage station and hotel at their house on Main Street and built a toll bridge across the Umatilla River. It was often referred to as Goodwin’s Cat Station – due to the large number of cats they kept around. Aura and her family also donated the land for the city’s first courthouse and cemetery – which now hosts Pioneer Park. Aura Raley owned a large portion of early Pendleton and with her daughter Cosbie, developed and sold off lots for residential and commercial purposes. She lived in Pendleton the rest of her life and was an integral part of its growth and development for its first 50 years. NW Aura Avenue is named for her legacy.